* Essay Competition has ended and the participants will be notified on the prizes and the publishing of the essays via email in early November (2020). The first prize-winning essays from the individual categories will also be translated into English.
In reference to the general theme of the City Street4 Conference (CS4), the My street in the city of the future Essay Competition invites entries to document your street/streets in a near or distant future. Do you think the streets will be clean, green, full of cyclist, pedestrians and people who like to spend time and socialize outside? Or do you think that streets will become open spaces with robots cleaning them while people will use them only to drive in all sorts of new self-driving (autonomous) or even flying vehicles for example? Can the control of the drones and cameras in the future affect people’s habits in the streets? Do you have some ideas how young people can participate to make city streets better in the future?
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Form and Language
English and Slovene are the official languages for Essay Competition that is part of the City Street4 Conference. If submitted writing will be in any other world language, an English translation must be provided along with a submission. The author is responsible for the correctness of the translation. For the jury review Only the English or Slovene submissions will be eligible.
The essay should be at least 750 words long and not longer than 1500 words. The essay may be accompanied with drawings or sketches.
The submitted writings must have a clear link to the main theme of the Competition.
The competition My street in the city of the future is open to schooling youth and students between the ages of 10 to 18.
Participation will be in one of two separate categories:
• age category from 10 to 14 and
• age category from 15 to 18.
The Top 3 writings from each of the two age categories (10 – 14 years old; 15 – 18 years old) will be published on the CS4 webpage and exhibited during the conference in Ljubljana between 22 September 2020 and 27 September 2020.
The authors of the top 3 writings from each category will win the prizes, the first prize for both categories is a tablet computer.
Essays submitted to the My street in the city of the future Essay Competition entries will be assessed according to their engagement with the competition theme, their creativity and originality.
The jury’s decisions will be final and irrevocable. The organizers reserve the right to replace or add a jury member at any time.
Members of the jury:
Members of the jury:
• Polona Filipič, MArch, Architect, Faculty of architecture, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia;
• Natalija Lapajne, Curator, MAO – Museum of Architecture and Design, Ljubljana, Slovenia;
• Martina Malešič, PhD, Art Historian, Department of Art History, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
How to Submit?
Participation in the My street in the city of the future essay competition is free of charge and registration is through the City Street4 website. Only one entry per person is allowed. All entries should be submitted in digital format.
The submission system will be open till 10 June 2020, 11.00 pm (Central European Time).
Types of Submissions
The essay must be submitted as a Word .doc and/or .pdf file. Each submitted writing must be uploaded through the conference web-portal along with other data required in the submission form.
If you have any technical problems with the submission system, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition registration 28 January 2020 to 10 June 2020
Essay submission 28 January 2020 to 10 June 2020, 11.00 pm UTC+1 (Central European Time)
Announcement of Top 5 for each
of the two categories on website July 2020
Final Jury and Announcement of
Top 3 for each of the two
categories During CS4 in Ljubljana, Sept 2020 and on website
Exhibition of Top 5 essays for
each of the two categories.
Originality and Copyright
• The author of the writing guarantees that s/he is the sole owner of the writing that s/he submits.
• The author of the essay guarantees that s/he has the right to make the writing available to the “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition.
• The author of the essay guarantees that the text does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity.
• The organizers of the “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition and the City Street4 Conference deny all responsibilities in case of legal pursuits relative to any parts of the writing that depicts people who did not consent to appear in it, or if they contain elements whose owner did not consent that they be represented alongside or in relation to these elements.
• The organizers of the “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition and the City Street4 Conference commit themselves not to sell any essay without previously contacting the author in order to reach an agreement with her/him.
• The author accepts that her/his essay can be used by the City Street4 Conference for press releases in full or in part(s).
• The author accepts that her/his essay can be used by the “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition and the City Street4 Conference websites in full or in part(s).
• The organizers of the “My street in the city of the future” Essay Completion and the City Street4 Conference reserve the right to choose the essay for exhibitions taking place in 2020. They also reserve the right to select the format and the venue of these exhibitions.
Claims and Final Dispositions
• Participation in the “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition implies that the candidate fully agrees to all conditions and guidelines set forth in this document.
• The “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition cannot be held responsible if, due to major constraint or by any reasons beyond its control, changes in exhibition dates and/or venue should occur, the Competition is modified, and/or the exhibition is cancelled.
• The “My street in the city of the future” Essay Competition assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate, or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by the equipment or programming associated with or used in the Competition.
• The competition registration has the legal value of a signature, and the essay’s owner recognizes that s/he has acknowledged the conditions and regulations and commits herself/himself to abide by them.
Prepared by: Nina Goršič (UIRS), Natalija Lapajne (MAO), Matej Nikšič (UIRS), Polona Filipič (FA)